South Jordan, Utah
Daybreak is a new community, sited on 4,100-acres of surplus mining land. The project includes over 20,000 residential units, approximately 9.1 million sf of commercial space and an extensive parks and open space system that integrates stormwater management, water conservation, habitat creation and local food production.
The community engineers estimate that over $70M in storm water infrastructure savings have been realized over the life of the project, due to a reduction in impact fees. The project also dramatically reduced the conventional conveyance infrastructure by using open, vegetated drainage channels that help clean and store water. The extensive green infrastructure system, which has enabled every home to be within a five-minute walk of a trail, has resulted in over 70% of children being able to safely walk to school, compared to less than 20% in nearby communities. Daybreak has become a model for performance-based design, which is exemplified in many accolades, including the Best Community of the Year Award.
Services Provided: Landscape Architecture, Sustainable Development, Urban Design, Land Planning, Parks & Open Space Design, TOD, Design Standards and Guidelines
- Governor's Quality Growth Award, Envision Utah/Utah Quality Growth Commission
- CSI Case Study, Landscape Performance Series, Landscape Architecture Foundation
- Best in American Living, Platinum Award, National Association of Home Builders
- Community of the Year, National Association of Home Builders
- 6th Fastest Selling Community in the US, RCLCO Real Estate Advisors
- LEED Platinum Certified, USGBC
Kennecott Land Company
Calthorpe Associates, Nolte Associates/NV5, Stantec, Jacobsen Irrigation, Craig Johnson, Progressive Plants